Xorg scripts (Under glibc) - feedback

Kevin Day drealin01 at cox.net
Sun Dec 25 04:23:58 PST 2005

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 08:39:11 +0000
Declan Moriarty <declan.moriarty at iol.ie> wrote:

> barfed line 120/121 Protocols made, libs made as far as
> libWindowsWM, and would barf. Syntax?
>
> barfed in a package because I didn't have pkgconfig. Then
> barfed because none of the packages were updating pkgconfig.
> I added the line
> cp *.pc /usr/lib/pkgconfig &&

My apologies, after running my scripts again overnight while sleeping I
awoke to an interesting mistake.
I noticed that I accidentally moved libdrm from the extra's directory
to the lib directory.  This caused my for loops to break as they do not
seem to respect the '&&', installation continues despite not having
all of the libs built.
My quick fix was a symbolic link from ../extras/drm-*
Mesa's Demos failed on not having libdrm, but it took me a while to
notice where the real mistake was.

> after each 'make install &&' and that sorted it. I got my archives
> from ftp.x.org (local or mirror). Then I found they were all
> writing to /usr/X11R7/lib/pkgconfig, while they were reading from
> /usr/lib/pkgconfig. That's what symlinks are for :-D.
>
> Eventually I got caught by the lack of perl, zlib, m4, and libpng
> which were all present in the base system but absent from
> pkgconfig. I want to install them by the hlfs book.

Yes, I forgot to mention Modular-Xorg depends on all of those, from
autoconf to zlib.

> What would be neat is if you had a little subroutine that tested
> for the package in pkgconfig and moved on if it was there. You
> could stick it in each section, to make rebuilding quicker.
> It would also save messing like perl installing in an inferior way
> over the existing  perl in a hlfs system.

Interesting idea, I'll look into it. I have been working up myscripts
slowly into something very modular such that I can pass the following:
./install xorg
and then the xorg script would contain calls to the relevant parts in
whatever order:
${SCRIPTS}/doloop proto ${BASIC_PARAMS} ${PIC_CONF} *
or
${SCRIPTS}./doloop lib ${BASIC_PARAMS} ${PIC_CONF} \
lib{lbxutil,Xau,Xdmcp}-* etc..

I try to keep as few dependencies as possible, but perl is as standard
as bash, so that may be something I will look into.

> It also appears pkgconfig should be in the hlfs book, as soon as
> possible in chapter 6.

Cheers!

Sorry, I just pulled the same mistake you did.  This is seriously
not intentional.  Maybe I'll setup some saved blank messages for
hlfs-dev so I donot forget the CC part!