Xorg scripts (Under glibc) - feedback

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at iol.ie
Sun Dec 25 00:39:11 PST 2005

> http://xorg.freedesktop.org/release/X11R7.0/src
>
> I painfully downloaded every single *.tar.bz2 file.
> My script assumes the directory structure is identical to theirs.
>
> To quickly extract the files, I ran the following script by hand in each
> of the sub-directories:
>
> for i in * ; do tar -xf $i && rm -v $i ; done

Makes sense.

> I believe there is an easier way through cvs:

ROTFL. cvs ...easy? I've never found it that way!

Anyhow, I ran the thing last night. Here's how it went

barfed line 120/121 Protocols made, libs made as far as
libWindowsWM, and would barf. Syntax?

barfed in a package because I didn't have pkgconfig. Then
barfed because none of the packages were updating pkgconfig.
I added the line
cp *.pc /usr/lib/pkgconfig &&

after each 'make install &&' and that sorted it. I got my archives
from ftp.x.org (local or mirror). Then I found they were all
writing to /usr/X11R7/lib/pkgconfig, while they were reading from
/usr/lib/pkgconfig. That's what symlinks are for :-D.

Eventually I got caught by the lack of perl, zlib, m4, and libpng
which were all present in the base system but absent from
pkgconfig. I want to install them by the hlfs book.

I also got waylaid by a wife looking for company over a
bottle of wine, and somehow resolve weakens under that sort of
temptation. We don't do Xmas, but I have two Public talks today
(Sunday). Next week......

I'm thinking rm -rf on /usr/X11R7, install the deps, the
/usr/X11R7/symlink, and try again.

What would be neat is if you had a little subroutine that tested
for the package in pkgconfig and moved on if it was there. You
could stick it in each section, to make rebuilding quicker.
It would also save messing like perl installing in an inferior way
over the existing  perl in a hlfs system.

It also appears pkgconfig should be in the hlfs book, as soon as
possible in chapter 6.
--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.