BHLFS Tips ???

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Dec 18 14:44:25 PST 2005

I'm not sure what --with-pic does. It may just be an unutilized autoconfig
macro. When using --with-pic static libraries still get installed.
--disable-static works much better for not installing static libraries, but
some packages install static libraries regardless.

The GCC specs will build everything with -fpic and link with -pie
automatically. Adding -fpie to Makefile.in is only to help performance,
although I've never benchmarked it, so I don't know how much it helps. It
helps more when -O3 or -filine-functions is used.

You can get away with just using --disable-static.