gcc ch5 problem

Declan Moriarty junk_mail at iol.ie
Tue Dec 13 05:47:29 PST 2005

> I have started into a uClibc version of hlfs on a
> partition I wiped some windoze junk off. I nosedived in chapter 5
> on the second build of gcc.
>
> I am building the latest download of the SVN book, with a lfs-6.0
> base system. Versions: gcc-3.4.1; kernel-2.6.12.1; glibc-2.3.4;

Never mind this one - I'm starting over, or trying to. This is
from uclibc headers

hlfs:/mnt/hlfs/sources/uClibc-0.9.28$ make KERNEL_SOURCE=/tools headers
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/hlfs/sources/uClibc-0.9.28/extra/config'
gcc -O2 -Wall -I. -c conf.c -o conf.o
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-fstack-protector-all"
make[1]: *** [conf.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/mnt/hlfs/sources/uClibc-0.9.28/extra/config'
make: *** [include/bits/uClibc_config.h] Error 2

A little investigation reveals no CFLAGS, and that any .c file at
all I try to compile with that system (LFS-6.0) craps out on the
same error - even one I have successfully compiled before without
error.

Now I can compile the package using a compiler from an older
system (I have LFS-5.0 & LFS-6.0 here). How can I sort the
compiler that has picked up that extra "-fstack-protector-all" as
a default?

BTW, I feel sure the error I made was to fail to take in the 'env'
line from gcc at the configure stage in chapter 5.
--

      best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.