module-init-tools 3.1 build error

Hidden forU d_g72 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 25 02:55:59 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'm building HLFS and even though I'm not sure, I think there's a bug
in zlib install.

I get errors when trying to build module-init-tools 3.1 with zlib
support: ( I know I should put whole listing but I've booted from LFS
livecd and don't have clipboard... )
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [lsmod] Error 1

I was trying to symlink libz.so almost everywhere, but didn't help.
When I searched .configure to find where it looks for libz library, I
read:
# If zlib is required, libz must be linked static, modprobe is in
# /sbin, libz is in /usr/lib and may not be available when it is run.

AFAIK hlfs doesn't install static library... When I looked into LFS,
static lib is installed.

Can anyone help me? Should I install static lib too?
TIA
  D.