2.4/2.6 kernels

mclinden at informed.net mclinden at informed.net
Fri Apr 22 06:58:16 PDT 2005

Well, I wouldn't qualify as a developer, but I have build a farm of public
HLFS servers based upon kernel 2.6 and at this point, my decision is to
stay with this, and part with HLFS development until it is once, again,
merged with the 2.6 or beyond kernel series for many of the same reasons
that  Archaic and others mention and some others as well.

In particular, Archaic's distinction between a kernel and a desktop system
is important to the whole issue of which kernel to use. IMHO there are
simply too many features of the 2.6 kernels (including native threading
and process management,  hotplugging, SATA support and memory management),
that provide significant advantages 2.4 especially given rapid
developments in the area of Intel-based hardware and newer motherboard
designs.

If HLFS is initially intended to be a server OS (and given the complexity
of configuration and management of hardened systems especially considering
the near term  incompatibility of PAX and GRSEC kernels with many of the
3,000+ applications that ship with a desktop RedHat or SuSe, I would argue
that it is), then we are looking at HLFS as a part of systems with
dedicated functionality and, presumably, many fewer extrinsic points of
vulnerability. Few, if any, of the {changes to,weaknesses of} the
evolution of the 2.6 kernels are deal-breakers under this setting.

Moreover, some of the functionality contained within 2.6 kernels (in the
area of device management) is utilized by the systems I have in place for
backup and system replication and service delivery. While, technically,
these would be considered BHLFS they (or something like them), would be
essential to using an HLFS system in production.

So while I do not believe that I am in a position to vote. I can say that
if HLFS reverts to kernel 2.4, I'll stick with and continue to work with a
2.6 branch.

BTW, GCC 4.0 is officially released. THAT's where I'm gonna spend my time.

Sean McLinden