Fwd: Re: 2.4/2.6 kernels

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Apr 21 21:35:40 PDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 11:15:39PM -0400, Robert Connolly wrote:

> The hardware that is only supported by 2.6 is rare, most people are not
> affected by this.

ACPI and AMD's PowerNow are two areas that are *vastly* improved upon in
the 2.6 kernel and together those are something that I personally
consider a necessity for a server's longevity unless I it absolutely
will be in constant use 24/7. Also, IMPI is quite valuable to keep track
of how well the hardware is running. I don't believe 2.4 even supports
PowerNow or IMPI natively.

> Key advantages to uClibc is the security options, and its ability to
> be rebuilt under a hardened kernel.

Yes, this is something we both seem to agree on. uClibc will eventually
replace glibc completely.

> Linux-2.6 does not offer any security advantages over 2.4.

That statement can be reversed and still equally true.

--
Archaic

Hardened Linux From Scratch
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hlfs