Fwd: Re: 2.4/2.6 kernels

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Apr 21 07:04:50 PDT 2005

----- Forwarded message from Archaic <archaic at linuxfromscratch.org> -----

To: HLFS Book Maintenance List <hlfs-book at linuxfromscratch.org>
From: Archaic <archaic at linuxfromscratch.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 07:37:49 -0600
Subject: Re: 2.4/2.6 kernels

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 03:22:03PM +0200, pinotj at club-internet.fr wrote:

> It's all about roadmap, but the use of only one kernel and one libc
> seems better to me.

That *is* better. The only reason there are two at the moment is that
uClibc has been the libc of choice since nearly the beginning, but is
not quite ready. When 1.0 releases (which I do not think we are anywhere
near ready for), unless uClibc starts developing like crazy then
technically 1.0 will only be a half stable release. The glibc half. But
I do believe uClibc is the future and I keep my eye on that future.
Until then, it is usuable (if lacking somewhat), which is why it is
still in trunk and why we are rendering 2 books.

Thanks for the input, Jerome!

--
Archaic

Hardened Linux From Scratch