kernels, binutils, and stable releases

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Apr 15 23:56:00 PDT 2005

Robert Connolly wrote:

> Don't use Udev and add the MAKEDEV script (from lfs-5.1.1) in chapter 7.
>
> There is one problem though, the boot scripts. I guess the the udev stuff
> needs to be sucked out, and I'm not sure about hotplug.

Hotplug is used mainly as a hardware detector in LFS. In order to continue
using it with linux-2.4 as a hardware detector, add pciutils and usbutils.

Also, some BLFS packages (e.g. SANE and gPhoto2) in some setups need hotplug
in order to chown/chmod files in /proc/bus/usb. In LFS-6.0, the "usb" group
is used instead, but that's not so secure.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov