kernels, binutils, and stable releases

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Apr 15 08:36:03 PDT 2005

To use linux-2.4 follow the kernel-headers pages in lfs-5.1.1, and use
--without-__thread when configuring glibc. All testsuites (gcc, glibc,
binutils) should pass like normal.

--enable-omitfp does not work with linuxthreads. libidn does work if you want
to use it. I'm not sure if there is any benefit to using
--enable-kernel=2.4.0, because 2.0.0 is the default.

All those warnings from iproute2 don't happen with 2.4 headers. I don't think
anyone maintains sterilized 2.4 headers anymore, so I think we have no choice
but to use raw ones.

Don't use Udev and add the MAKEDEV script (from lfs-5.1.1) in chapter 7.

There is one problem though, the boot scripts. I guess the the udev stuff
needs to be sucked out, and I'm not sure about hotplug.

I'm pretty sure linux-2.4.30 is okay to build with gcc-3.4.3.

And the /sys directory can be removed.

I think that's it. I don't expect uClibc will have any problems with
kernel-2.4.