propolice patches [was propolice testsuite]

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Oct 23 13:33:53 PDT 2004

On October 23, 2004 04:02 pm, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> You're new to autoconf, I'm new to autoconf and even newer to SSP :)
> What a fine pair we make eh? :)  Well, I'll give the ssp stuff a try,
> though it'll take me a while as, according to the patch, I need frandom
> and according to frandom's docs I need to recompile my kernel to get the
> sysctl interface.  If I'm recompiling the kernel I may as well upgrade
> it to 2.6.9 which will break my NVidia module, though I know where the
> patches are for that.  All in all it looks like a job for tomorrow!

Use the patches from here:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~robert/hlfs/downloads/cvs/hlfs-patches-20041023.tar.bz2

You don't actually need the frandom kernel, it will work without it. If the
sysctl interface isn't found it uses /dev/urandom, if thats not found it uses
gettimeofday from libc. Without frandom I wouldn't suggest building a whole
system though because it will be wasting a lot of syscalls trying to open the
non-existant sysctl interface.

I have another patch on the way for --with-pie for gzip too. Gzip is a pretty
simple package to patch for, but I have a feeling the --with-ssp and
--with-pie patches are going to conflict. The with-pie patch will depend on
gcc-3.4 and binutils-2.15+