glibc, read-only sources, and static linking

Andrew Calkin calkin at ieee.org
Thu Oct 21 08:20:17 PDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 03:02:31PM +0000, Bennett Todd wrote:
> 2004-10-20T23:06:08 Robert Connolly:
> > I wouldn't agree to building everything statically linked.
>
> I quite understand; as far as I know, I'm a minority of 1 in this
> respect:-).

On a side note, this is one of the things that really interested me
about linux, and made me start to _enjoy_ computing again once I
started to learn about it. Sure, Bent linux may seem a bit extreme,
but then again many would say that of LFS. The fact is that for
those motivated enough, the challenge of the task is motivation enough,
and there is enough flexibility to allow the attempt.

Even for those not interested in going down that path- if properly
documented, the lessons learned would be a great educational tool.

Before building my first LFS system, I used the (B)LFS instructions to
construct many tricky packages.

//Andrew