glibc, read-only sources, and static linking

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Oct 20 18:49:31 PDT 2004

Okay- Would it be reasonable to statically link everything we need to boot?
aside from the daemons. init.d/checkfs uses mount, halt. mountkernfs uses
grep. setclock uses hwclock. cleanfs uses find, grep, rm, chmod, chgrp,
chown. The swap script uses swapon. The udev script uses ln, mkdir, mount,
halt, /sbin/udev*. Maybe getty too. The modules script uses modprobe. This
doesn't seem like very much.

Robert