glibc, read-only sources, and static linking

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed Oct 20 16:25:35 PDT 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Robert Connolly wrote:

> For now would everyone agree chapter 6's bash be linked statically? I want to
> say coreutils too, but some things are fine dynamicly linked, like sort,
> dirname, du, while others like false, mv, ls, or echo should surely be
> static. Dividing coreutils in two would not be fun to install though.
>
> Ida know. I'm getting hungry though.
>
> Robert

 In terms of security, perhaps a moot point (some people will always
want to use a CD or whatever).  If you commit to using bash as the
shell, echo is a builtin (not checked on bash-3.0 called as sh).  So are
true,false although clearly that doesn't hold if you specify a path to
them.  ls and mv are the big ones.  Maybe rebuild coreutils statically
and just install whichever binaries you really need ?

Ken