OT:chroot on a webserver? and hlfs roadmap. Security beginner's question.

ashes at SecondFloor.Utopia.hai ashes at SecondFloor.Utopia.hai
Fri Oct 8 17:45:27 PDT 2004

On October 8, 2004 02:37 am, R.Welz wrote:
> Or would that be a bad Idea to have a web server as router and firewall
> for an intranet ? I mean I cannot have a dmz since I don't have enough
> computers but  there is only a Mac with 1 TB of valuable data like
> rendered film material and all my e-mail.

Lots of people do that. The only service I can think of having a problem on a
firewall is ftpd with active transferring. Aside from that the only issue
would be with having a bottleneck. Under normal conditions it should be okay,
but if one service gets flooded then all services loose quality. I think it
should be fine though.

> And last question... Is there some roadmap when it is possible for me
> to start with hlfs and a 2.6.x kernel? I mean I would accept any alpha
> or beta release but I don't want to start with the hlfs book and the
> 2.6 kernel all on my own. I am an experienced software developer but I
> don't know if I am that good to do all that testing stuff giving me
> errors over errors on my own. Any suggestion when I should invest my
> spare time in that project wich a chance to succeed with Kernel 2.6.x ?
>
> Ideas and/or suggestions on the last question would be very cool, since
> I really want to start with hlfs (I read the 2004-06-07 book) but I
> hardly see a chance to succeed with Linux-Kern 2.6).

I've attached the linux-libc-headers-2.6-frandom patch to use with lfs-6.0.
The rest of the patches should be on linuxfromscratch.org/patches/downloads/
(for linux, gcc, glibc). The autopie patch is missing for gcc-3.4 so far. I'm
having some issues with lfs-6.0/lfs-unstable, but I noticed something tonight
that might change things. The gcc ssp testsuite keeps failing for me, I think
the glibc patches need to get edited again (gcc side should be okay). So you
might want to wait a bit. I hope it'll be fixed for this weekend.