First minor release

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Nov 28 16:08:56 PST 2004

Hello. I have a working book featuring uClibc, ProPolice Stack
Protector, PaX, Grsecurity, Position Independent Executable (PIE) toolchain,
and Frandom Random Number Suite, located here:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~robert/hlfs/releases/hlfs-0.1/

It boots with a Grsec kernel with all options enabled. The new system seems to
work perfectly fine, I was able to rebuild some programs in the new system,
etc. Note the version of iproute2 is different from LFS, I had to use a
version (from August 31st) which is known to work with uClibc, the newest
version does not.

I found the system a bit choppy/laggy. This might be because uClibc builds
with -Os instead of -O2. Or it might be because of Grsecurity. I didn't
investigate it.

Native language support does not work in uClibc, not 100% anyway, so all NLS
is disabled. The bug with Gawk, Bash, and Perl only exists in chapter 5, see
BUGS.txt for more info. The Tar bug is closed. I didn't spell check anything
but it shouldn't be too bad.

Coreutils, Bash, Udev, Util-linux, and Grub are statically linked in chapter 6
for safety reasons, incase libc.so or ld.so ever become damaged or missing.
Maybe the next book version can make this optional, giving two command sets
the way BLFS does in some cases. I also think Vim should be statically
linked, but maybe we should talk about this some more.

I think we're ready for SVN and mirrors, although I don't know the procedure
in asking. /me pokes archaic

If any of you were waiting to make automated build scripts now is the time. We
are not going to be stable until uClibc is stable, and I don't know when that
will be. The way it is now is not too bad, I would trust it as a firewall but
not with remote users.