releases and stuff

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Nov 20 23:03:41 PST 2004

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 07:33:43PM -0500, Robert Connolly wrote:

> Either install autoconf and automake in chapter 5, or (my favorite)
> preconfigure all the sources in advance and don't delete them.

How much excess disk space is the latter going to require?

> On an unrelated topic, the only thing I don't like about the
> more_control hint is that packages are installed to the real system.
> You don't know what or where files will be installed in advance.

I must say I've never really understood your concern for installing
packages directly. They are just as easily removed from the "real"
system as they would be from the destdir. This just avoids the extra
step of a destdir. Besides, anyone installing from source on a live
server without knowing explicitly before hand what a package installs
seems a bit shaky. Even being able to compile on a server incorporates
more attack paths than I would want to explore.

> Maybe a --with-sysroot macro is what we need for packages that don't
> already have it.

When we get to the point that we are patching a large number of packages
to conform them to a minor personal preference to how things should be
done, we are getting away from writing a book and heading towards being
s specific distro. IMO, patching should be kept to a bare minimum to
cover FHS guildlines, fixing compilation problems, and closing security
holes.

--
Archaic

The difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse every
time Congress meets

- Will Rogers