releases and stuff

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 19 16:33:43 PST 2004

I was also thinking about that Gzip patch I made a couple weeks ago. It added
--with-ssp,pie,relro to configure. It would be better off as an autoconf/make
macro like Matt suggested. Gzip does not have any --with options in its
default configure, so thats why the three options had to be combined into the
same patch, else two patches would depend on the first. Its a lot cleaner and
easier to maintain with autoconf and automake macro's, and they could be
seperated so if you're not using one option then that patch doesn't need to
be applied, so far none of the hlfs patches depend on eachother.

--with-safe-strings-lib might be another option I would want to add.. if it
turns out to be a good alternative to what uclibc and glibc have for a
strings library. Selinux patches used unconfigured autofoo patches too if I
remember correctly. LFS has so far successfully danced around autofoo
dependencies, which usually involves larger patches. The macro's are more
likely to be accepted upstream too. Anyway, my point is I think there's only
two choices to using autofoo patches. Either install autoconf and automake in
chapter 5, or (my favorite) preconfigure all the sources in advance and don't
delete them.

This is more friendly for minimalists who might want to go without one thing
or another, and it is easier for me to maintain, even though I have to learn
how to write autofoo macros. Many of the distro's are running
autoconf/automake after patching because its more practical to take advantage
of it rather than avoid it.

Sound fair?

On an unrelated topic, the only thing I don't like about the more_control hint
is that packages are installed to the real system. You don't know what or
where files will be installed in advance. I wouldn't mind incorperating it
except for that point. My example fakeroot install did the 'make install' in
a chroot, although it was flawed in other aspects. Maybe a --with-sysroot
macro is what we need for packages that don't already have it.