stripping secure servers (was Re: releases and stuff)

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Nov 18 19:56:31 PST 2004

Talking about changing libc's and static linking some packages has me curious
about other things. Like how the Safe C String Library:
http://www.zork.org/safestr/
might be used or ported to. I don't know much about Tendra C/C++ compiler:
http://www.tendra.org/
http://www.ten15.org/
but from the little I have read it seems like it is more strict than GCC, and
might produce safer or more stable finished code. I think Openssl will build
with Tendra CC too, maybe it could be usefull as a secondary compiler. It can
also behave like lint as a source code checker for correctness and potential
bugs. Another project I found is the Cyclone C compiler:
http://www.research.att.com/projects/cyclone/
which claims to be "A Safe Dialect of C". The "run time checks" sounds like
something that would lower preformance, but it might be worth it.

It might be a good idea to at least give these an honest look. GCC is the only
compiler the stack guard will work with, has the bests support for shared
objects, and probably the best optimizations for preformance, but in the case
of the Safe C String library it should work regardless of the compiler
version. Lots of pros and cons to weigh. I'm sure there are more projects to
add to this list too.