releases and stuff

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Nov 14 19:45:27 PST 2004

On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 03:19:23AM -0500, Robert Connolly wrote:

> Why can't we have a hardened development system and a hardened system
> at the same time? How about dividing the hlfs sources into 'base',
> 'devel/lang', 'network', and 'misc'.

Ultimately, because it isn't safe to have devel tools on a system
regardless of whether or not they are mounted or not. Putting all the
devel in /opt is nice and tidy to some extent. Glibc, however, will
still have loads of include files that should be removed. Also, the
reason for 2 separate systems is so that one can test without risking
loss of services. Trust me, you don't want to have a database go down
because some little glitch in a newer version shows up. In all
practicality, the new version would be built on the devel system where
you can test the install long before migrating the real server to it.
It's all about accountability.

--
Archaic

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only
prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of
freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to
consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

- John F. Kennedy