releases and stuff

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Nov 13 00:19:23 PST 2004

Why can't we have a hardened development system and a hardened system at the
same time? How about dividing the hlfs sources into 'base', 'devel/lang',
'network', and 'misc'.

Base being what we need to boot and core system administration; coreutils,
bash, shadow, grub/e2fsprog.
Devel/lang being gcc, perl, sed, m4, bison, flex, file, libtool, autofoo, etc.
Network ntp, openssl
Misc would be module-init-utils, maybe zlib.

So anyway, Base gets installed to / and is all statically linked. Devel can go
in /opt. Network and Misc are optional and go to /usr. If the user wants to
have their finished system without a compiler they can umount /opt when
they're done.

Is this about teaching or doing? It's hard to seperate the two when we're
teaching by example. Admins should have a well organized tidy system; its
helpfull to write that down, but people like having examples of it. From how
to test run programs in a jail, to paying attention to what we do as root.
There's certainly no shortage of examples to create. The original plan of
this book was to consolidate all this information from docs and howtos.

We can't be afraid to change the way things are done. I think the above
example, read-only sources, and non-priv install, are practical enough to
work for everyone. This might be what some people call distro specific type
stuff because this is where lfs stops and where blfs is too well rounded.