releases and stuff

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Nov 8 19:42:14 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 02:56:19AM +0000, Bennett Todd wrote:

> I very strongly like a strict partitioning, with
> download/unpack/compile/"make install" done non-priv, and a step
> that requires privs to go on to actually install into the real
> working place in the system. I've done this for years as part of
> software packaging.

FWIW, the extra step of a destdir->final install can be eliminated. I
understand you consider packaging in the decision, but for a book, does
it really need to be there? It adds a larger layer of infrastructure to
the book and will slow the development of individual packages. And since
we don't even have a base, yet, would that be a good thing at this
point?

--
Archaic

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice; moderation in the
pursuit of justice is no virtue."

- Barry Goldwater (actually written by Karl Hess)