gcc and binutils obj directory

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Nov 7 14:26:42 PST 2004

Robert Connolly wrote:
> Does anyone have options on doing:
>
> install -d obj &&
> cd obj &&
> ../configure
>
> for GCC and Binutils instead of what we have been doing so far? This would
> keep our /sources directory a bit cleaner, and its easier to upgrade (or
> change) versions of GCC/Binutils. This is basicly what LFS does with
> e2fsprogs already.

In both cases we do as the upstream devs suggest we do.  e2fsprogs like
the object directory to be *within* the source directory, binutils & gcc
like it to be outside.  Whilst it *may* work having the object directory
within the binutils/gcc source directory, that configuration isn't
supported upstream, hence our current approach.

Regards,

Matt.