uclibc vs glibc

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 02:55:49 PST 2004

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 03:51:15 -0500, Robert Connolly
<robert at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> I have stage 1 gcc built now. Quick question. Do we really need --build and
> --host defined when cross compiling? It seems to work fine with just --target
> alone. Maybe --build and --host are used/needed when the host has many cross
> compilers?
> --

--host, is the system the binaries are going to run on
--target is the system the binaries are going to compile to
--build is the system the binaries are built from

aka, if I want to make gcc compile from a i686-pc-linux-gnu so it runs
on a i686-pc-msdosdjgpp, but compiles for i686-pc-mingw32, you could
use

./configure --build=i686-pc-linux-uclibc --host=i686-pc-msdosdjgpp
--target=i686-pc-mingw32

you now have a dos compiler that makes windows executables, built from linux.

I dont believe target has any use outside of compilers,
--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
------