uclibc vs glibc

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Mon Nov 1 06:15:17 PST 2004

I've been trying to stay out of this, since my views are so far off
to one extreme that they probably won't add value to the
decisionmaking process. But I can't hold it in any longer:-).

I really like uclibc. It takes the pain out of static linking, which
I also like. It's very nice configurator lets you choose just how
rich or simple a libc you build, over a nice range, and with nice
granularity. If you don't like i18n you're not obliged to include
it, likewise for many other chunks of libc.

A steadily and rapidly growing proportion of apps build against it
with little or no trouble.

Basically, I like small.

Yes, until the up-coming release you definitely need to work with
CVS (or the daily snapshots, they're what I use), it's been too long
since a major release, but I've heard grumblings that they're hoping
to push one out one of these days.

-Bennett