Package systems and stuff

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue May 11 18:38:24 PDT 2004

On May 11, 2004 08:36 pm, Archaic wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 05:23:33PM -0400, Robert Connolly wrote:
> > What do you guys think about using a bsd-like source tree (using
> > /sources)? I
>
> Seems a bit too out there. Takes away our focus, IMO.

I thought of this because we don't need a system that can make binary
packages, just a way of being organized. Its not just for vanity. Many of the
packages can build in an seperate directory, for a read-only source tree, but
there's an interesting problem with gcc & perl since it uses different
patches from chap5 to 6. Cross building would be more managable, or at least
this would give a framework for it. The permissions and ownerships of the
source would be better controlled; a package builder user would only need
write permission to the object directory and not the source itself, and then
only needs group read so (modified) source isn't world readable. A small file
could have the patch name and commands used to make /sources/bin/bash/ so
diehard users could still make their own tree. At least from my perspective
importing the core into one tree is easier to manage. It will also make it
easier to manage glibc and 2.6 headers in the future.