book

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed May 5 19:20:43 PDT 2004

How about this?

Hardened Linux From Scratch is a security oriented documentation and source
code project. HLFS is targeted for the educational community, but is by no
means rudimentary. Because HLFS is not a distribution we can make changes
and support software other projects can not. Homogeneous standards practiced
among vendors often leads security astray. Many standards are not motivated
by security. While commercial resellers and vendors may require this, we do
not. HLFS is not concerned of reverse compatibility with other Linux, the LFS
host is only needed for the initial build. This means we can make big changes
quickly without worrying about supporting past releases. We can use code with
mixed licenses, we can use "non-free" code. Whatever the situation may be we
will try to use the best source code we can get our hands on. We hope to pull
the best implementations of every method of software hardening together, to
see that it can be done, for the benefit of the public at large.