Integrated crypto

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Wed Mar 31 02:09:04 PST 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:06:52 +1000
Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au wrote:

> > its a hack. it counts pulses from an oscillator whose frequency is
> > controlled by the resistors
>
> Yuck...
> Its not like 8bit A/D's cost that much anymore...
> I suppose to penny pinchers VCO's are cheaper.

;-)

what surprised me joystick wise was the playstation pads are *amazingly* precise. they have (PS1) *four* 8 bit ADCs and the quality of the potentiometers is good enough that even uncalibrated they zero well, AND you can actually get the full 8 bit resolution out of them (lower bits not swamped in noise).

I keep meaning to interface them to my linux box... its been done, so it shouldnt be a hard project. I even have a dead PS1 to scrounge the socket from...

> No wonder damned joysticks always drift

;-)

> Thanks for that Ian ;-)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with ketchup.