Suitability

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Mar 30 13:20:43 PST 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 20:13:02 +0000
Bennett Todd <bet at rahul.net> wrote:

> 2004-03-30T19:26:04 Archaic:
> > On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 02:55:16PM +0100, Adrian Fisher wrote:
> > > Wouldn't it be more beneficial to ensure changes didn't lock out
> > > mainstream technologies such as Java as I know many companies use
> > > it.
> >
> > I don't see java as mainstream on a server. Java apps are, but they
> > are delivered to the delivered to the client for processing.
>
> I hate to say this, because I positively loathe Java, but in some
> areas, Java is indeed very mainstream on a server.

I'd hate to see someone try and install Oracle without having Java
available, although it does bring it's own copy along for the ride.
That said, last time I installed it (9.2.0.4) on an LFS box it needed an
ld.so.preload hack because of the archaic (no pun intended!) version of
Java it shipped with.  Messing about with a pax/pie/ssp/whatever enabled
toolchain and precompiled binaries may be "interesting"!  I've got 10g
available now, but haven't had the time to try and get it on my box yet.

Cheers,

Matt.