Suitability

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Tue Mar 30 12:13:02 PST 2004

2004-03-30T19:26:04 Archaic:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 02:55:16PM +0100, Adrian Fisher wrote:
> > Wouldn't it be more beneficial to ensure changes didn't lock out
> > mainstream technologies such as Java as I know many companies use it.
>
> I don't see java as mainstream on a server. Java apps are, but they
> are delivered to the delivered to the client for processing.

I hate to say this, because I positively loathe Java, but in some
areas, Java is indeed very mainstream on a server. People write
daemons for arbitrary protocols in Java. They also embed wads of
Java in HTTP servers, to provide server-side programmatic handling
of requests.

For instance, go visit the Jakarta page at apache.org.

It may not be nice, it may not be pretty, it may not even be a sane
engineering choice, but there's definitely loads of places where
people lean heavily on Java on servers.

-Bennett