Suitability

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Mar 30 11:54:39 PST 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:18:03 -0600
Dagmar d'Surreal <dagmar.wants at nospam.com> wrote:

> > last i understood java was enablible via glibc? / gcc?  how ever if
> > you are talking about java for the webbrowser that is a entirely
> > different animal (personaly i feal the browser and surrounding
> > mozilla code to run java apps sould be reviews to help with all
> > those viruses floting aournd in js how ever that is a entirely
> > different animal then for hlfs for now)
>
> No offense, but wow you need to get a spell-checker, or an email
> client with a spell-checker built into it.  (Other than that, very
> well said.)

Well said?  What exactly was well said about it?  A couple of points:

1) Java & Javascript are entirely separate beasts.  Reviewing java apps
isn't going to solve *any* problems with javascript code
2) Viruses in javascript?  I *personally* haven't heard of any, and was
under the impression that just like Java apps, javascript ran in a
sandbox which had very limited access to the client.  Of course, if MS
has bastardised this technology, like I suspect they have in WSH
(Windows Scripting Host), then all bets are off, but then it could be
said that all bets are off when it comes to anything security related
and MS products anyway.

Cheers,

Matt.