Suitability

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Mon Mar 29 19:18:03 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 22:29, Kendrick wrote:
> Robert Connolly wrote:

> >Openbsd is using very stable (and old) software in its base system. Hlfs is
> >about as bleeding edge as it gets (so far). Some of hlfs features are in
> >violation of posix, something obsd refuses to do. Its hard to say which is
> >

> wheres the poxtix  violations?  just cerous   also   when complete the
> security will be just as secure as YOU make it and that is what hlfs is
> all about is educating one enough while bulding a secure base to start
> off of. as i understand it  the hlfs project is more about educating the
> user so they know what is important to explore for security

Long ago the gods of POSIX decreed that stacks must be executeable.  Not
long thereafter, the blackhats of the world began rejoicing, for obvious
reasons.  A short while after that, a great many of us got clue and
started eliminating code that depended on executeable stack space.  :/

> >>Will it include things like Java, MySQL and PHP?
> >>

> >I don't think java will work, the others should.
> >

> last i understood java was enablible via glibc? / gcc?  how ever if you
> are talking about java for the webbrowser that is a entirely different
> animal (personaly i feal the browser and surrounding mozilla code to run
> java apps sould be reviews to help with all those viruses floting aournd
> in js how ever that is a entirely different animal then for hlfs for now)

No offense, but wow you need to get a spell-checker, or an email client
with a spell-checker built into it.  (Other than that, very well said.)
              AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org