Suitability

Robert Connolly cendres at videotron.ca
Sun Mar 28 06:58:28 PST 2004

On March 28, 2004 08:13 am, Adrian Fisher wrote:
> Hello there.
>
> I am new to this list (and Linux in general) and would like to ask some
> questions.
>
> How much knowledge of Linux and Linux will I need to create a HLFS system?
You should be comfortable with Linux and LFS before doing this. You're
expected to know what you're doing.

> What type of environment would such a system be uuseable for?  Is it
> just as a desktop machine or as a server as well?
Only console right now. The security features have broken xfree86 support, so
xfree86 needs to be fixed before it will work in hlfs.

> When completed, how will the security of HLFScompare with the likes of
> Open BSD which pridesitself on it's security?
Openbsd is using very stable (and old) software in its base system. Hlfs is
about as bleeding edge as it gets (so far). Some of hlfs features are in
violation of posix, something obsd refuses to do. Its hard to say which is
more secure, but hlfs does have more security features. I'm biased but I
would say hlfs security rivials any of the publicly available distributions.
Hlfs is lacking an audit though.

> When is the system likely to be ready for general use?
Still hard to say, maybe a month, maybe two.

> Will it include things like Java, MySQL and PHP?
I don't think java will work, the others should.