book

Robert Connolly cendres at videotron.ca
Sat Mar 27 22:43:09 PST 2004

March 27th, 2004 [cendres]: Added roadmap from mailing list. Started changing
'how things are going to be done'. Moved chap5 kernel headers to between
binutils and gcc (chap5) for cross compiling conformance (no known side
effects). Upgrade to binutils-2.15.90.0.1.1. Remove ssp-signal patch, it
doesn't do anything usefull. Upgrade to coreutils-5.2.1. Added sspspecs
patch, removed ugly sed command from GCC chap6. Cleaned up some links. Added
Grsec patch in preference to Pax.

New book is here:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~robert/hlfs/downloads/cvs/

Note: Not all the patches in this book are on the mirrors yet, give it a day
or two (they have been commited). The twocents.mooo.com links should all be
gone.

I'm worried the new binutils comes with more some bugs. I built it, it boots
and seems to be fine.
These are the major differences in packages between LFS-cvs and HLFS-cvs:

rm linux-2.4.24.tar.bz2
rm glibc-2.3.3-20031202.tar.bz2
rm coreutils-5.0*
rm gzip-1.3.5.tar.bz2
rm gcc-*
rm binutils-2.14.tar.bz2

cp linux-2.4.25.tar.bz2
cp glibc-2.3.3-????????.tar.bz2
cp coreutils-5.2.1.tar.bz2
cp gzip-1.3.4.tar.gz
cp gcc-core-3.3.3.tar.bz2
cp gcc-g++-3.3.3.tar.bz2
cp gcc-testsuite-3.3.3.tar.bz2
cp binutils-2.15.90.0.1.1.tar.bz2

Not to mention the extra patches... I didn't want to add Grsec initially to
prevent complications, but it should work fine now.

Iptables should perhaps be the next package to add. Grsec has iptable specific
options that can be used with it aswell. Pam configuratiion needs a cleanup
too.