Firewall Script Required for bootscripts

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Thu Mar 25 10:41:20 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 04:04, Kendrick wrote:
> Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
>
> >/etc/dhclient-exit-hooks is user (and nnot provided by the package) so
> >you can implement those kinds of things and not have future upgrades of
> >dhclient wipe out your changes.  I hope that's where you meant to say
> >you've put those.
> >
> two fold no  first part  i never knew about the hooks and never saw it
> mentioned in the docs the version i am using is about 2 to 4 years old
> as well, pre to lfs4.O.   i beleve i brought the changes i had made from
> a prior build to it never looking at what the man said if so because it
> never had a man for the exits if i did see it i never went further ;)
> for me a quick hack back then was alot easire then rtfm til 7am and
> still be confused
>
> second is that I was trying to change what information the dhclient was
> updating ie hostname and a fiew other required items I was removing so
> it didnt get set by dhcp

Okay, I'll say it outright then.  You should have read the man pages for
the package.  Information about how to override the changes to the
resolver control files and such as well as an explanation of the hooks
script have been in the man pages for ISC's dhcp package for at least
five years now--I can say this with certainty because the man pages are
how *I* found out about these features.  Skimming through man pages will
usually get you nowhere.  The next time you need to look up a manpage,
take off your shoes, get comfortable, and actually read the entire
thing.  Generally this only needs to be done once, or until major
version numbers increment.
              AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org