Firewall Script Required for bootscripts

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Tue Mar 23 17:49:14 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 19:13, Nathan Coulson wrote:
> I know someone here was working on a firewall bootscript, and I wanted to
> see what was done.
>
> The lfs bootscripts 2.0.0 are almost ready to go,  and curious if I should
> leave them how they are, or add them in.  [These bootscripts will be used
> for LFS 5.1].

I wouldn't worry about it for LFS/BLFS unless you want to try to
integrate it into the book's instructions.  I'll synch up the versions I
have over here with any changes that might have occurred to those book's
scripts so they're as similar as possible.  There's only a few minor
changes that would be needed to trigger loading a monolithic firewall
script, and I'll get with you about what little that entails later this
week.  At the moment, everything I've been doing checks the
FIREWALL_SCRIPT variable with the assumption that if a monolithic
firewall script is being used, it'll be set in /etc/sysconfig/network.

When this is _not_ set, (it could be an empty script) what I've been
integrating assumes it's got free reign to do as it likes with respect
to any and all firewall rules.  Services it's working for at the moment
include sshd, named, squid, and nessusd (which flat out needs to be made
sgid if a mostly-closed firewall ruleset is in place), which are four
nice basic types of network services that I'm using as my test cases.
Samba is going to wind up requiring me to change the permit_* deny_*
functions considerably just because of it's unique
same-portnum-to-same-portnum communication, and I've been avoiding
binding rules to IP address until I can think completely through what
happens when a DHCP-managed host has it's IP change.  At the moment I
think I'm going with "most daemons break when this happens anyway, so
it's moot" but I'm hoping inspiration will strike.
              AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org