/etc on different partition foolish?

Zack Winkles winkie at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Mar 19 09:54:30 PST 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 06:25:55PM +0100, Japie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I yust tryed to make a save as possible partitioning sceme and created an
> additional partition for /etc. Of-course this means trouble... Can somebody
> help me out with how to mount it at boot time? (kernel can't find inittab
> and so, odd isn't it ;) Or is it a waste of my time? The goal was to free
> my root partition from every dir. that needs RW  access so I can mount my
> root RO.

That would require some initrd hackery which I don't think you would find
worthwhile.  init(8) searches for /etc/inittab immediately upon starting,
and since /etc is a different partition than /, it wouldn't be there.

I suppose you could have a copy of inittab on both / and /etc, though.
Overall, the effort isn't worth it.  Just look at the mtab hint, that will
guide you through the procedure without any /etc crap.