Hlfs iso?

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Wed Mar 10 18:24:38 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 11:09:46PM +0000, Ian Molton wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 13:17:43 -0600
> Dagmar d'Surreal <dagmar.wants at nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > While it's a nice feature, our "trusted" system
> > doesn't need to be able to replicate itself because that's a feature
> > of a developers platform.
>
> Cobblers.
>
> If it cant reproduce itself its buggy and a buggy base is
> impossible to build a secure system on top of, ESPECIALLY when that bug
> lies in the toolchain and the utilities used to build it.

I'm with Robert and Ian on this one. The building of ssp/pie is a
delicate thing. Originally we wanted to be able to assume a chapter 5
vanilla LFS set of tools, but that didn't allow for correct building. If
a chap5 wasn't a good host, the a complete chapter6 wasn't a good host.
Then you have to ask... if LFS isn't a good host, what is? The only
answer was one already equipped with ssp/pie, hence our problems with
hosts and rebuildability.

--
Archaic

The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by
the Prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for the
government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be
enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in
this country is closely connected with this.

- Albert Einstein, "My First Impression of the U.S.A.", 1921