Hlfs iso?

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Wed Mar 10 05:58:39 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 04:10, Kendrick wrote:
> > Therefore, a HLFS ISO would either need to be as basic as
> >possible (i.e. only provide a hardened LFS system) which would be
> >largely useless (in a prod. env.), or provide hardened versions of every
> >package in BLFS,
> >
> I am wondering if it was ment ..   have either a hardend lfs bootable
> disk to build hlfs localy to any computer with/or wo os-  a known good
> base..  ie rh 7.3 wouldent work because of mods to glibc yet 7.2 would
> for lfs 4.0  the other though would be  a hfls automated profile sitting
> on a boot cd.

Again, the problem is that one can't make a cookie-cutter HLFS system
because hardening a system _will_ involve customizing quite a bit of it
to suit the current task (usually turning off and/or removing what's not
to be used).  Just be thankful that we've only got the limited number of
LFS binaries to worry about and not the galloping motherton from a
default install of RedHat or Mandrake.  This is one hell of a
time-saver.
              AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org