smtp microshaft and you

Robert Connolly cendres at videotron.ca
Mon Mar 8 03:58:22 PST 2004

On March 8, 2004 05:13 am, Kendrick wrote:
> I was wondering if any one had noticed the spam article on cnn the other
> day... it was talking about how microsoft and another company want the
> users to pay for E-postage.  yahoo and another want to use hash cache? i
> think  and the third groop is wanting certificates i think
>
> I was wondering if any one else was putting any thought in to this.

I think this is what you're talking about:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/03/05/spam.charge.ap/index.html

I heard months ago MS claimed they would eliminate spam this year. I guess
this is their plan :\
This e-postage plan looks like loose-authentication. The problem with this is
getting everyone to use it. Making people use stamps is no better then making
everyone use PGP signatures. Companies who take in new clients will not be
willing to block unstamped email, if they do they will loose clients. If you
block email that doesn't have a PGP signature you will get less spam, and
less legitimate email will get threw too. Being a free internet I don't think
this plan will be very popular. When MSN sends 3 million newsletters to their
members every month are they going to pay a penny for each stamp or will MSN
be exempt from postage? They also grossly under estimating the bad guys. They
arn't just going to give up because of e-postage, they will find ways of
counterfiting stamps or exploiting the system in other ways. E-postage is the
wrong solution for spam, it wont be enforced, and adds more overhead.