(no subject)

Robert Connolly cendres at videotron.ca
Mon Mar 8 02:50:17 PST 2004

On March 8, 2004 05:05 am, Kendrick wrote:
> Robert Connolly wrote:
> >speed dropped by about 65%, from 450kbps to 160kbps. But this isn't ftpd
> > its sshd. WIth ftpd I get just over 800kbps :) With https its about
> > 400kbps, and to my surprize httpd did best, getting to 815kbps. So, SSL
> > seems to reduce speed by about 50%, on my server.
>
> im cerous about https...  did you use apache? if so how was ssl
> implimented?   mod_ssl or ssleay?  did you have zlib? compression support

Apache, mod_ssl, and zlib is built in but I didn't use it intentionaly. This
server is 90mhz pentium btw, the cpu bottleneck might warp my test results.
Any SSL upload used almost 100% cpu. The ftpd upload used 35% cpu because I
use a local ftp_proxy. These might be factors in why httpd preformed best (no
ssl, no proxy).
Compression kills cpu (and bandwith) with cvs too. If you're on dialup
compression might be best, but for broadband it does more harm than good.