(no subject)

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Sat Mar 6 21:22:10 PST 2004

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 10:56:28PM -0600, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:

> People who have ssh shouldn't bother using ftp anymore.  Scp more or
> less deprecates it, and there's also an sftp service unrelated to a
> "classic" ftpd (but which still works the same from a user's
> perspective) that one can use that's part of OpenSSH.

I don't buy that as a wholesale statement. Every single time I've ever
used sftp or scp on a large file, the transfer time was hideous compared
to straight ftp. If I need something to travel the pipes encrypted, then
fine. Otherwise I'll stick to ftp (or more likely http since I don't
have tons of stuff laying around for public consumption of my
bandwidth).

--
Archaic

Live free or die; death is not the worst of evils.

- General George Stark.