(no subject)

ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Sat Mar 6 10:40:31 PST 2004

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 01:11:46AM +0000, Christopher James Coleman (ug97cjc at cs.bham.ac.uk) wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 09:32:54PM +0000, Christopher James Coleman
> > (ug97cjc at cs.bham.ac.uk) wrote:
> >
> > Since you are an admited non-authority then this is really just a matter
> > of personal preference.  As such I prefer proftpd.  However, since you
> > have "read through the code" does vsftpd support ftp over tls?
>
> Not as far as I remember. However: I am talking about security from a
> standpoint of the code quality, you are talking about security from a
> standpoint of encrypted channels.

You are conflating two issues here.  Neither of us are authorities on
code auditing so any statements we make regarding "security of code" is
opinion.  I asked a separate question regarding ftp/tls as it is a
requirement that I just set up for a client and will be maintaining
going forward thus I am always looking for alternative solutions.

Unrelated to ftp but an example of the last point I make about looking
for alternative solutions is FreeS/WAN.  It was a surpise when the
announcement came out about the end of the project.  Fortunately we
will be able to transition to other solutions transparently to the
users.  This in a nutshell is the absolute beauty of FOSS.

[...]
--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer, Elegant Innovations