(no subject)

Christopher James Coleman ug97cjc at cs.bham.ac.uk
Fri Mar 5 13:32:54 PST 2004

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Michael Labuschke wrote:
> Proftpd  it does not say its version number in the welcome msg anymore.

If you have to use plain ftp, use vsftpd. I have read through the code (
though I should not be considered as any sort of authority ), and it
ranges from worrying ( wu-ftpd ) through to really good ( vsftpd ).

> OpenSSH changed version to "SSH_3.2.3"

This may `trick' people into thinking you are running a version. However,
you have obviously missed that SSH banners are used to help `quirks' mode
-- that is to get around possible implementation faults in different
versions of the software for SSH.

But still, it is nice to see someone actively working on projects. I am
sure people in this mailing list can give more, well, worthwhile tasks to
be getting on with ;).

- chris