(no subject)

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Fri Mar 5 12:36:35 PST 2004

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 01:25:46PM -0600, Joshua Brindle wrote:

> this is not security, this is obscurity, learn the difference.

Sometimes people misinterpret the phrase "Security through obscurity".
We all know it's bogus, at least in black and white, but that doesn't
mean we shouldn't also make things more obscure. We just shouldn't rely
on it. Keeping proftpd from giving version info doesn't mean it's
secure, but it does make things a tad bit harder, so we shouldn't reject
it just because it's not the most effective thing we could do.

--
Archaic

A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one
another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own
pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth
of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government,
and all that is necessary to close the circle of our felicities.

- Thomas Jefferson, in his 1801 inaugural address