XFS 'vs' ext3 and Can they go hand in hand !

Charles Simpson chsimps at glue.umd.edu
Thu Mar 4 07:58:41 PST 2004

Vishal wrote:

>I used "make menuconfig" and opted for ext3 file system. After doing some research on file systems,
>
>i was wondering if i can use XFS filesystem (which uses b-tree) for database (only),
>to increase the perfomance.
>
>And i also read that XFS is Journaled 64-bit file system for IRIX.
>My platform is also 64-bit, Xeon (Intel's) and Linux seems to support XFS.
>
><snip>
>
>Will it be a good choice if i use ext3 file system for files and XFS for database. And is it possible !

Can I ask why you chose to go with ext3 at all?  XFS will do just fine
with your regular filesystem.  While it is possible to do what you
suggested, I see no reason to, considering most of ext3's performance
problems.  In my experience, XFS is at least as stable as ext3, has the
same journaling capabilities, and supports ACL.

Charles