Going beyond the scope

Robert Connolly cendres at videotron.ca
Wed Mar 3 09:02:45 PST 2004

I don't know what to call this, or where to send it to, but here she goes.

Unix has been shaped largely by hackers for hackers. This is true with Minix,
Linux, BSD, Hurd, and others. The Open Source community maintains itself
mainly free of charge, possibly being the largest community of free exchange
in history. Open Source is a dream of Utopia. Thanks to one of those hackers
we have LFS. LFS has inspired many not just to dream but to realize their
hacking dreams. Many systems have been based off of Gerard Beekmans LFS,
including Gentoo, crosstools, the uclibc buildroot, and many others. Due to
the recent emerging maturity of the Open Source infrastructure I believe its
time for a revolutionary LFS based system. In the spirit of Linux From
Scratch, and in the spirit of Linux Standard Base I propose a fully portable
source based system by integrating the netbsd kernel and libc. I am not
proposing replacing the Linux kernel, but instead having a choice. I believe
the same build system can be used to build from netbsd-* to linux-* and back,
mainly due to netbsd linux emulation but also due to the gnu toolchain. Like
the LSB project this project would take it upon itself to develop a standard
base, but for all Unix not just Linux. But being security oriented as well
the project would adhere to the Common Criteria too. I believe licensing
issues has prevented this from happening before, but being a documentation
project we do not have such issues. The purpose for this idea is to make the
system very robust and ready for any future. I strongly believe there would
be enormous interest in this project by the community. With minimal testing I
found 'gcc -pie' works in netbsd. There is some netbsd work to get W^X
working in the kernel; and with time PaX could also be ported. The majority
of the software on mainstream Unix systems is the same with exception to the
kernel, libc, and things like packet filter which depends on the kernel.
*=sparc,x86,arm,ppc,etc

I think this would benefit hlfs by providing the most robust design possible.

Apologizing in advance for changing the topic.
Robert
:)