many questions

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 20 06:58:40 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 01:42:32PM +0200, Marc M?ller wrote:

> 1.) PaX: Everything went fine, but when I try to enable
> CONFIG_PAX_NOELFRELOCS in the kernel, some binaries don't work. gzip for
> example. "readelf -d /bin/gzip | grep TEXTREL" showed that is wasn't
> completely position independent.

Make sure you are using the older gzip-1.3.4. 1.3.5 does some stuff in
assembler, and there is currently no way to force it.

http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/hlfs-dev/2004-February/000402.html

> 3.) selinux: I have read in the wiki that selinux support is planned for
> HLFS... Is that true?

The wiki is horribly outdated, but yes, we will be looking at se-linux
and alternatives when we get there. More developers would help, as the
only ones who've stepped forward are all terribly busy with RL.

> 5.) chkrootkit: (http://www.chkrootkit.org/) The chkrootkit script
> detects an infected netstat program...

This is an *old* bug. Run the strip command on it and it should be fine.
BTW, this isn't just an LFS problem, but mainstream distros as well.

> Sorry for the many questions...

No problem. It is nice to see some people are building it. We need
feedback to make it better. (Of course a 40 hour day would be nice,
too.)

--
Archaic

Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of
himself.  Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others?

- Thomas Jefferson, in his 1801 inaugural address