selinux headache

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Thu Jan 22 05:59:30 PST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au wrote:

> > If we are always going to be living on the edge regarding m4, flex,
> > and bison, how about just putting them in and forgetting about it?
>
> This has been my argument for a LOOOONG time...
><snip>

> I think somewhere along the line people chose that this was not an
> important goal for LFS (or didn't realise that this was one of the
> primary goals I was working towards with PLFS) or just plain didn't get
> it what the advantages are of keeping these "useless" packages around.

IIRC, it was a bias against installing any more packages than
*absolutely* necessary. This was the very first solid reason I recall
for dumping Lilo and going (eventually) with grub.

Certainly an admirable goal, but sometimes sacrifices other things
(robustness, some flexibility, ...).

> But hey, what can you do...

Out-live the decision.  :)  Sometimes it just takes time for everyone to
forget that it was proposed and rejected, come up with the brilliant
idea (again) and end up doing substantially what you proposed in the
first place.

Sometimes, changing circumstances will force your proposal to be adopted
anyway.

><snip>

> [R]

Bill Maltby