coreutils su

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Wed Jan 21 12:11:27 PST 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 06:14:40PM +0000, Ian Molton wrote:

> define 'build a system'. Do you mean compiling? or copying executables
> to the right places in the fs, or what?

Are you trying to catch me at something, Ian? ;)

[Normal person]
If you trust the software, then building as root is fine, however for a
general application, you should only install the built bins/libs as
root.

[Paranoid]
Never build as root, just install as root.

[Me]
Never build as root. Never install as root. (When possible)

--
Archaic

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of
authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made
to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are
men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They
promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.

- Daniel Webster